Monthly Archives: October 2020
I overheard someone say that I cost them a lot of money as I have a tendency to mix and match a lot of stamps and dies from various companies when I make sample cards for Scrapendipity. Some of this is intentional, of course, because I do want to showcase as many of our new products as possible, but sometimes it is because it is a challenge that I just enjoy taking on.
Today is such a day. I had just added a witch stamp from Lavinia to my collection. Lavinia stamps definitely have a look that is all their own. They can be really large or really small, but they all have an “other world” look about them. They actually remind me of the old computer game “Myst” where the unexpected was expected, as you moved around the game. I know, I am dating myself, but it is true. I thought it would be fun to combine the witch with the die called Splats from Paper Rose. When this die came in, I quite frankly, thought it was the stupidest die ever. It was only when Selena (owner of Scrapendipity) demoed it, did I begin to realize its’ potential. The name suggests that it was designed to create paint splats in different sizes and I have made one card using it this way, but far more often it has been used as a layered cave. This is how I am using it again today. Somehow, glow in the dark elements just seem perfect for anything Halloween themed, so I used Glow in the Dark Nuvo drops in the Cauldron and on the Orb (right out of Myst, I tell you). I used Brutus Monroe Glow in the Dark Seaglass for the floor of the cave. I also had a happy accident where the collage medium I used reactivated the ink in the background and the rocks took on a purple as well as a green glow. Perfect.
I will not attempt to show what it looks like in the dark, because the camera just never captures it well, but it really does look spooky and awesome at the same time. These elements “glow” all the time, and do not fade away quickly like Glow in the Dark embossing powder tends to do.
Slimline Christmas Scene
Today I made a slimline card using a background die from Trinity Stamps and a hodgepodge of elements from several Hero Arts stamp and die sets. The background die is called Room Builder and it supplies a floor, wainscoting, walls and windows plus a few decorator items. I decided to make it a Christmas card so I added a Christmas tree from Hero Arts Meowy Christmas. I also added the staircase from Hero Arts. The cats, hat and present are from the Hero Arts November 2019 Monthly kit. The sentiment and Santa in the window are from the Hero Arts October 2020 monthly kit. Embellishments are flocking, Nuvo drops, Tim Holtz Mica spray, Delicata white shimmer ink and Neon Amplify.
I have to say all the elements came together well and made a great card. The only problem is that it will take me hours to sort out all the stamps and dies and get them back into the right packages for storing.
For My Best Fiend
No that is not a typo. This card was made for my best fiends. The September My Monthly Hero reveal actually had two Heroscape stamp sets. The one included in the main kit is a lovely pumpkin patch and I will be making a card with that one shortly. This card was made using the Graveyard Heroscape which was one of the add-on products accompanying the kit.
Here is a funny thing. At first glance, I thought the layered landscape part (the Heroscape) of the stamp set was a bit narrow which left a lot of unoccupied space in the sky area of the card. So what did I do……………I decided to make a slimline card that is much taller than a regular card……………………what??? Yes, I decided to make the design extra complicated as that is just what I do. It worked out well though. I did three layers of the landscape vertically on the card. I made it lighter with more detail on the bottom and darker and more indistinct on the top two layers. I added the fence to the edge of the first landscape to disguise the transition a bit and ink blended the top layer all over to make it darker and more indistinct. As I still had lots of real estate left after adding all the black embossed images, I was able to add two sentiments instead of one. Usually I am struggling to find a spot to put one sentiment as I rarely plan for the sentiment up front, when designing a card. In the end, I really liked the card as the ink blending which turned out well is a more prominent feature of the card.
I did a little stamp surgery on the crows so that I could place them where I wanted on the sentiments. It kills me to do this on a brand new set, but I didn’t want to take the chance of an ink smear that might have happened with trying to mask the well inked crow trio stamp.