Blog Archives

Slimline Christmas Scene

Today I made a slimline card using a background die from Trinity Stamps and a hodgepodge of elements from several Hero Arts stamp and die sets. The background die is called Room Builder and it supplies a floor, wainscoting, walls and windows plus a few decorator items. I decided to make it a Christmas card so I added a Christmas tree from Hero Arts Meowy Christmas. I also added the staircase from Hero Arts. The cats, hat and present are from the Hero Arts November 2019 Monthly kit. The sentiment and Santa in the window are from the Hero Arts October 2020 monthly kit. Embellishments are flocking, Nuvo drops, Tim Holtz Mica spray, Delicata white shimmer ink and Neon Amplify.

I have to say all the elements came together well and made a great card. The only problem is that it will take me hours to sort out all the stamps and dies and get them back into the right packages for storing.

For My Best Fiend

No that is not a typo. This card was made for my best fiends. The September My Monthly Hero reveal actually had two Heroscape stamp sets. The one included in the main kit is a lovely pumpkin patch and I will be making a card with that one shortly. This card was made using the Graveyard Heroscape which was one of the add-on products accompanying the kit.

Here is a funny thing. At first glance, I thought the layered landscape part (the Heroscape) of the stamp set was a bit narrow which left a lot of unoccupied space in the sky area of the card. So what did I do……………I decided to make a slimline card that is much taller than a regular card……………………what??? Yes, I decided to make the design extra complicated as that is just what I do. It worked out well though. I did three layers of the landscape vertically on the card. I made it lighter with more detail on the bottom and darker and more indistinct on the top two layers. I added the fence to the edge of the first landscape to disguise the transition a bit and ink blended the top layer all over to make it darker and more indistinct. As I still had lots of real estate left after adding all the black embossed images, I was able to add two sentiments instead of one. Usually I am struggling to find a spot to put one sentiment as I rarely plan for the sentiment up front, when designing a card. In the end, I really liked the card as the ink blending which turned out well is a more prominent feature of the card.

I did a little stamp surgery on the crows so that I could place them where I wanted on the sentiments. It kills me to do this on a brand new set, but I didn’t want to take the chance of an ink smear that might have happened with trying to mask the well inked crow trio stamp.