I mentioned that there was unspeakable issues with my first attempt at this type of card. One of the issues that I could not overcome is that the design of the cover die resulted in very small pieces being left at the point where the lacy design folded over to the back of the card. There was no way it was going to lie flat and look nice. I may try it again using acetate behind the lacy parts to have something to glue the bits to, but for now that is a no go.
Happily though I did a variation that will definitely get mailed to someone. As in Jennifer’s card there is a blank top folding card inside that a photo could be tucked into, or be used for the annual highly anticipated holiday letter where seemingly everyone but you has earned a new degree, went around the world or discovered the cure for cancer.
This card acted like many watercolour cards I have done. It was ugly, until suddenly it wasn’t. Probably still wouldn’t be the one I would choose to send to the Queen or even Prince Charles 🙂 , but it does have some charm. Funny how I needed triangles as my stamp again, but at least this one from Concord and 9th was adaptable to the task.
This card using the Paint Resist technique as demonstrated by Shari Carroll came together quite easily. I had a large background stamp of trees, so I decided to stamp this in Pewter Distress Paint. I then added the distress ink background wash and trees as Shari did in her sample. I added the diecut deer from Impression Obsession to the front of the card.
If struggle and hard work ensures good results, then my card would be a Picasso. Working on this card is pretty much all I have done today, and my craft room mess emphasizes this. Trouble started early, when I realized that I didn’t really have any stamps sets with triangles on them for trees. In fact, the only stamp set I had with varying sizes and solid and outline images was my circles set from Simon Says Stamp. No problem, I say to myself…………..I will make snowmen instead of trees. This proved problematic as well, as the graphic elegance of Laura’s card was impossible with snowmen as the image. They are just cartoonish, and that is all. No problem, I will make a fun version of the card. More problems arose with ink selection, blah blah blah. I finally got the card made, albeit with much darker colours than I intended, but then I went to embellish. I found great little hats in my stash, but they were too big for the snowmen heads. Yikes.
I started over, this time picking snow man heads that fit the hats and worked backwards from there. This time, I liked the results and the holographic cardstock that I used to frame the card finished it off nicely. The only remaining problem is that the camera doesn’t play well with shiny, sparkly things. The card is actually nicer that it appears in a picture.
Supplies: Lots of Dots Stamp Set from Simon Says Stamp, Recollections glitter embossing powders in Mauve Blue and Green, Hero Arts and Simon Says Stamp dye inks, hats from Happy Howlidays Lawn Fawn, Glasses and bowtie from Stylish Simon, DCWV holographic cardstock, Happy Holidays sentiment stamp from Be Joyful stamp set from Simon Says stamp