I had a blast at the Great Canadian Scrapbook Carnival that was on at Spruce Meadows for the last two days. It was great to see so many scrapbooking friends out there and some Stitching and Quilting friends as well, as it is a combined carnival. The only drawback for me was that I lost a circle die and my mojo. I did some alcohol backgrounds and some lift ink techniques that I liked, but no amount of fixing and fiddling made them come together into cards that I liked. Part of the problem was that the work space allotted was very small. This probably also contributed to me losing my die. The rest of the problem was lack of mojo. I didn’t want to abandon the projects, so I took a look at them again today, to see if they could be salvaged. I am happy to say that it was a different experience today. While my circle die seems to be gone forever and I had to use a slightly smaller one to finish my card, I like the result.
This card is once again made with the Stained Glass Suite from Stampin Up. This time, however, it is paired up with Stampin Up “Subtle” embossing folder and a Lift Ink technique. I think I am going to get a lot of use out of the “Subtle” embossing folder as it just adds a little something to the overall design without competing with the main images. The rhinestones from Studio Katia reflect all the colours of the alcohol ink.
It occurred to me after I created the cards in the last post, that there was supposed to be matching dies for the Stained Glass stamps. I will spare you the details……………………but panic ensued as I could not find the alleged dies anywhere in my craft room. Eventually, they turned up.
I am happy they did as they are wonderfully intricate and delicate and are amazing as a complement to the stamp set. The card came together perfectly until I heat embossed the sentiment. I put the moth too close to the flame, as it were, and I warped the vellum a bit. To fix that, I decided to run the card through my Bigshot to flatten it. Bad Idea! It did flatten it a bit, but in the process also flattened the delicate die cut. While it still looks good; it did look better and more dimensional before I steamrolled it. Live and learn.
Today I wanted to use the Stained Glass paper and stamp set from Stampin Up. I did not actually notice this set on my first view through the catalogue. I think it was because the paper looked just black and off-white and the stamp set had smallish images with sentiments in an Old English font. On my second glance through the catalogue, I did notice the Old English font which I like. Looking at the set more closely, I realised that the paper was printed vellum with stained glass motifs. I began to think of the multiple uses of a set like this, from elegant birthday cards to respectful sympathy cards. I also realised that the smallish images in the stamp set enhance the stained glass scenes on the vellum, without overpowering them.
I made three cards, that all turned out well.
I just picked up the Tropical Suite from Stampin Up and I am already declaring it my all time favourite Stampin Up set. I love everything about it, from the colours to the versatility of the dies, and on to the great 6 X 6 patterned paper pack.
The other thing that is great about it, is that I was able to pair it up with images and dies from Heartfelt Creations and Sizzix. I have found that usually Heartfelt Creations does not play well with others. By this I mean that trying to pair stamps and dies from other companies, with stamps and dies from Heartfelt Creations often results in failure. The card looks like a nerd dating a Kardashian…………………they just don’t go together. It worked on this card though.
Take a look:
I love the Leading Ladies series of stamp sets from Ellen Hutson. I could just imagine any one of the ladies relaxing while clutching her cup of coffee. I decided to adapt the Photo Lady to depict this in a card. Patterned paper is from Stampin Up and the sentiment from Technique Tuesday’s Sassy Coffee. Coffee beans are from Doodlebug and the stitched mat is from My Favorite Things..
I bought the inside stamp that I used here, because it looks exactly like me when I craft in the morning. Well, my bunny slippers are completely worn out now and have been replaced with an equally ridiculous pair but otherwise………………..
I ended up making this an outside and inside card as it was looking too busy with the patterned paper and the Starbucks symbol and two sentiments all on the front. Turned out pretty well.
Today I used the 3D cable knit embossing folder from Stampin Up to make a card front. I absolutely love how deep and realistic looking the embossing is from this folder. Once again it was too pretty to cover up and put in the background, so I decided to make it the focal point and just add some cute coffee “buttons” so that the whole card front looks like a cable knit sweater. Indeed I have a sweater with buttons that looks much like this (minus the sentiment, of course).