Today’s video was presented by Caly Person and was about using vellum. In one of her samples, she used a jungle border. I had a different jungle border from Hero Arts that is one of my favourites and so I decided to do a jungle card too. My card is really a mixed media card as I used stamps, diecuts, Copic markers, coloured pencils with gamsol, and ink blending to complete the card. I liked the resulting card but if I had the time to do it over again, I would use the vellum a bit differently to make it appear more prominently. I am totally reformed, however, and vow not to take longer than 4 hours to make a card, and so I declared it done and here it is.
It occurred to me after I created the cards in the last post, that there was supposed to be matching dies for the Stained Glass stamps. I will spare you the details……………………but panic ensued as I could not find the alleged dies anywhere in my craft room. Eventually, they turned up.
I am happy they did as they are wonderfully intricate and delicate and are amazing as a complement to the stamp set. The card came together perfectly until I heat embossed the sentiment. I put the moth too close to the flame, as it were, and I warped the vellum a bit. To fix that, I decided to run the card through my Bigshot to flatten it. Bad Idea! It did flatten it a bit, but in the process also flattened the delicate die cut. While it still looks good; it did look better and more dimensional before I steamrolled it. Live and learn.
Today I wanted to use the Stained Glass paper and stamp set from Stampin Up. I did not actually notice this set on my first view through the catalogue. I think it was because the paper looked just black and off-white and the stamp set had smallish images with sentiments in an Old English font. On my second glance through the catalogue, I did notice the Old English font which I like. Looking at the set more closely, I realised that the paper was printed vellum with stained glass motifs. I began to think of the multiple uses of a set like this, from elegant birthday cards to respectful sympathy cards. I also realised that the smallish images in the stamp set enhance the stained glass scenes on the vellum, without overpowering them.
I made three cards, that all turned out well.
I made this card this morning for Papertrey Ink’s Make it Monday. The theme was to colour vellum. I actually really like the design of my card, but it is really only a first attempt. I have ideas in my head that would improve it greatly, but I have to go to work this morning so I have no time to start over. The next few days before Christmas are going to be a blur, so what is here will have to do.
Yesterday’s Happy Mail included the new Crafty Grumplings stamp set from Taylored Expressions, so when I saw the new challenge at Taylored Expressions it was a no brainer that I was going to use this stamp for the challenge.
Somedays things just seem to work out, while on other days gluing paper A to paper B is a Mission Impossible. This was one of the good days, as I was able to combine the sketch with the Tic Tac Toe combination of yellow, leaves and scallops, along with my new stamp set to create a really cute card.
Supplies: Taylored Expressions Crafty Grumplings, Elizabeth Crafts Ropes 1 and All Seasons Tree dies, Lawn Fawn Perfectly Plaid patterned paper, DCWV patterned vellum, Recollections and Bazzill cardstock, Liquid Pearls and Stickles, Copic markers, SSS card base, Mama Elephant Creative Cuts die and Scor tape
Here is a quick card using vellum in a scene. One of the rare times, I took the two minutes required to run upstairs to my sewing machine to attach the vellum.
Here is a “poor cousin” version of Dawn’s beautiful card from our Day 2 lessons.
I rarely use the colour purple and I even more rarely use dark purple from my copic markers as it usually turns out too dark. Not so when you are colouring behind vellum as in this technique. Only dark colours show up well enough.
Yesterday, I wanted to participate in the Papertrey Ink Blog Hop Challenge. Several problems immediately presented themselves. First of all, the inspiration photo was not inspiring for me. Don’t know why, it just wasn’t. Then when I got past that, I had to find a Papertrey Ink stamp in my stash that would fit with the inspiration photo, which was close to impossible. Finally, I tried to put something together. It was somewhat akin to giving birth. I had changed my mind about being involved, and wanted to do bodily harm to any one who had anything to do with the idea in the first place. Like childbirth though, I was now thoroughly committed and had to see it through to the end. And then……………………………………………………I forgot to post it! Unlike most of their challenges, this one only lasted one day…………….being yesterday!
Luckily for me, the clear and sheer Online Card Class started today and I had used “sheer” vellum on my Papertrey card. I found it rather ironic that in eleven ways to attach Vellum, using Vellum tape was not mentioned. Now there is a good reason for this………………it doesn’t work worth *&^% but it felt like there was an elephant in the room that everyone was ignoring! I used the “spray on” adhesive on the Papertrey project and “spray on” and a tiny brad on the second project (Tim Holtz stamp). They both worked very well.